Some friends became curious as to the benefits too and wanted to give it a try as well. This got me to thinking, it can be hard to start up and keep up a new habit/regimen which is why I am hosting a free one week ACV challenge. To join in on the fun, simply post a picture of you with your ACV daily on Instagram and/or Facebook and hashtag it #mmmacvchallenge . By doing this we can see who is joining in on the fun and hold each other accountable in the process.
Please do note that ACV is pretty potent and the taste takes some getting used to. I like to drink 2 tablespoons in 8 ounces of warm water. Simple yet effective.
Another (tastier) way to drink your apple cider vinegar is to mix 8 ounces of warm/hot water with 2 tablespoons ACV, 1 TBSP lemon juice, and a tsp or two of honey.
To get the full benefits of ACV, only use raw, organic AVC that has the 'mother' of the vinegar in it. Why? Because similar to kombucha, the mother is made up of strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules which contain living nutrients and bacteria which is good for your gut flora. Clear, processed vinegar does not have any of the benefits that raw ACV has. There are many different brands out there, but the one I am using is Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. (pictured below) I have found it at my local organic/natural food store and at Kroger in the natural food isle.
- Rich in potassium, a mineral that is often times lacking in adult diets. This mineral is key for growth, building muscles, transmission of nerve impulses, heart activity etc. It also helps to prevent brittle teeth, hair loss and runny noses.
- Rich in acetic acid. This acid is said to slow the digestion of starch which can help to lower the rise in glucose that commonly occurs after meals.
- Rich in ash which gives ACV its alkaline property. This aids your body in maintaining proper pH levels for a healthy alkaline state. (It is particularly important if you drink a lot of coffee or wine.)
- It can help regulate blood pressure and reduce bad cholesterol.
- Rich in malic acid which gives ACV its anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- May help improve bowel irregularity and helps to remove toxins from the body at a faster rate.
- It can help clear up skin conditions and blemishes.
- ACV helps with weight loss by breaking down fats so that your body can use them rather than store them.
- A few lab studies have found that ACV may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth.
Share your comments below! I'd love to know what changes you have noticed in your body since drinking Apple Cider Vinegar daily?
Do I notice all the health benefits above? You know it's hard to tell, but as I mentioned above there were some very clear and significant differences to my skin, bloating in my belly and did help relieve my cold symptoms since drinking ACV daily.
I drink it in the morning after breakfast and it definitely helps to keep me feeling full and less hungry throughout the day too!
If you’re interested in learning more about ACV here are a few links that are worth taking a look at:
- 7 Health Benefits of Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar – Shape Magazine
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar and Ab Definition – Tosca Reno
- ACV Uses, Benefits and Risks – Web MD
- 10 Tips for Using Apple Cider Vinegar – Care2.com
- 5 Things – Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar – Popsugar
***Please be advised that due to the lack of supporting research, ACV cannot be recommended for a treatment/cure/prevention for any health problem. As always consult your physician before starting any new health regimen. And remember, what works for me or another person may not work or be the best thing for you. I'm simply sharing what works for me in hopes that it might work for someone else too.****