Baked Spaghetti Squash and CheeseSkinnytaste.com
Servings: 7 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 165 • Fat: 8 g • Protein: 10 g • Carb: 16 g • Fiber: 2 g • Sugar: 6.5 g
Sodium: 278.5 mg (without salt)
- 5 1/2 cups cooked spaghetti squash (from about 2 small or 1 large)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup flour (use 2 tbsp corn starch for gf)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 8 oz mild cheddar shredded
- 1 tsp garlic powder (I added this to the recipe and thought it made for a really nice flavor)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups (about 4 oz) baby spinach
- 1/8 cup grated parmesan
Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
Cut the squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds. Place squash on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. Separate the strands of squash with a fork and place in a medium bowl; discard shells. Maintain the oven temperature.
If in a time crunch you can microwave the squash halves in microwave safe bowl surrounded by about an inch of water and cook on high for about 15-20 minutes.
Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick, about 2 minutes stirring; season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 7 cups